Sunday, September 14, 2008

Okay, so it's been a couple of weeks. Shoot me.

Shortly after my last post, I went on a PMS induced binge for a couple of days. Well, about four days to be exact. I've worked myself down, but I've been a slug in other respects.

Haven't exercised much and haven't made an effort to eat healthier. I have however, started adding supplements to my daily routine and have done fairly well with that.

  • Acidophilus - This is supposed to help with the sugar craving and I think it seems to be doing a fairly decent job.
  • Fish Oil and Flax Oil - for omegas 3, 6, and 9
  • A women's multivitamin - because I'm a woman. duh-her
  • B12 - It's supposed to help with my bitchiness. I'm not sure if that's working.
  • Valerian Root - for the insomnia that's been beating my ass down for the past three months or so. I don't know how this is going either. I seem to get to sleep more quickly than I have, but I have these really weird dreams. Like when I was apparently living in some sort of hospital or dorm room with hard wood floors and Candace Wilson kept trying to throw sheep skins down on my floors even though it wasn't her room.

There haven't been any exciting realizations or milestones achieved at all in the past three weeks and the longer I waited to post the more embarrassing it was to admit that I was avoiding myself so here I am.

On Friday, I worked up a two week menu based on healthy recipes mostly found at sparkrecipes. com and made a list. Of course, I left the freaking list sitting on the desk, but I was moderately pleased to discover I'd only missed a few items that I can pick up sometime in the next few days.

I did pick up a pack of those Slimfast drink doohickeys. I'm usually not a big proponent of them, but I decided it was a healthier breakfast option than the snickers bar I grab out of the snack machine right before class half the time. Really, the I think a lot of my problem is working through this insomnia so I won't keep oversleeping and spending half the day feeling rushed and stressed.

Today was Begin Anew Day #765 and it went well. I am a slug so I didn't work out. But I did focus on eating healthy and that went pretty well.

Breakfast:

one cup of Nature's Path Organic Pumpkin Granola
one cup of skim milk
one banana

Dude, I totally love this pumpkin crunch granola cereal deal. It's a little higher in the fat and calorie area than most cereals, but it's the good fat and according to the box it's also "an excellent source of omega-3." Not to mention 6 grams of protein per 3/4 cup serving. But the most awesome of all is the crunch factor. I love crunchy things and it has this really weird freaking crunch, almost like those dehydrated marshmallows in Lucky Charms cereal and I love those little dehydrated marshmallows.

Lunch -
I think I forgot to eat lunch.

Dinner:
A salad with three cups of romaine lettuce, 1/2 of a cucumber, chicken strips and pepper jack cheese. I really, really love bacon bits, sharp cheddar cheese and blue cheese dressing on my salads, but I always feel guilty about it because that's too much "extra" stuff to throw on something that's supposed to be healthy for you. So I finally came to the conclusion that grilled chicken strips would be a good source of protein and the pepper jack cheese should add all the WoW factor I need in a salad. It was pretty good.

I also made a Creamy Peach Cantaloupe Soup. My youngest child seemed to really like it, but I didn't find myself overly fond of it. Of course, I also don't really like cantaloupe, so I don't know what I was expecting from this soup . . . I suppose a fascinating discovery into the varied tastes of cantaloupe. But cantaloupe tastes pretty much like cantaloupe no matter how much yogurt and peaches you throw on it. Plus, I'm not overly fond of the cantaloupe texture and apparently even blasting the hell out of it in a food processor does not get rid of that weird cantaloupe feel.

On an up note, I have lost FIVE pounds. Okay, so three of those pounds were probably from PMS bloat, but I take what I can get and now the ticker officially moves down five pounds. It gives me a lot of hope that I can do this within the next year and a half.

Okay, so tomorrow's plan:

  • Keep it down to one diet coke (I did manage that very nicely today.)
  • Try to drink 64 ounces of water.
  • Work in at least 20 minutes of exercise.
  • Work up a post about the benefits of flax seeds and why I need to go back to including them in my diet.

No comments: